sábado, abril 03, 2010

Not a scarecrow

At the risk of republishing a photo (as you can see it is from 2006) that you have already seen, meet Judas.  Part of the Easter tradition here is to blow up the biblical betrayer of Jesus.  You can see these cute little guys for sale at the side of the road, full of fireworks (have you noticed that our holidays almost always include some fireworks?).  You  have a big Easter party with your extended family, read a poem about what Judas leaves each person (he only leaves unpleasant things and is definitely written to evoke a laugh or two), and then light that sucker on fire.  It's kind of gruesome on many levels, not the least of which is the risk he will explode on someone and blow off a few fingers.  As I'm pretty sure I wrote a post about this somewhere several years ago and I have several other things on my list today, I won't go into too much detail.  This isn't your fuzzy bunny Easter down here - we don't look for baskets with chocolate bunnies, wear pretty spring dresses, or have quiet family dinners; we give our kids a large chocolate egg (no searching involved), let them eat it and a bunch of other crap, run around like while animals, and then blow up a biblical figure made of fireworks.  At least it's a good time. 

2 comentários:

Elena B. disse...

Funny that you posted this, because my boyfriend was telling me about this tradition yesterday. When I was looking at the photos (many of which were on fire and some had nooses on them), for some reason it made me think of lynchings and burning crosses and all those terrible hate crimes in U.S. history. Then I tried to explain that association to him and it just ended up being a really confused conversation, haha. But maybe I'm just really weird, because obviously one has nothing to do with the other...but a bit violent for my taste none the less!

Cacaucoast disse...

This is a very belated coment, because I was just noodling around catching up on the blogosferia of Bahia, but I had to laugh about the ``while animals´´. I´m not just being picky, because I know you have a busy schedule, we all make typos and you spend your day teaching english, and it´s..phonetic. I just thought it was charming. I am an irregular reader (obviously) of This Week, just got back to Bahia from the States and am immersing myself once again in it´s ways. The signature is my husband´s. ¨Thanks for the blog, Margaret