domingo, novembro 18, 2007

Horses Xing

Not that you would ever see a sign indicating that anywhere around here. Although I was unaware of it at the time I was living in the States, there is some kind of law prohibiting farm animals inside city limits. I never thought much about it, but it would seem rather striking to see chickens and pigs wandering around down town Lansing or Grand Rapids. There is no such law here, however, and I would be hard pressed to think of a day that I have gone out on the street here and not see at least one rooster on the sidewalk or a horse tied up on the side of the road, nibbling the grass. The farther outside the city you go, the less restrained the animals are, until you start finding them wandering around on the road, just waiting to scare the bajeezes out of you as you come around a sharp turn. I only hit one deer with my car in MI and I cannot imagine the damage a full grown horse would do to the tiny cars we drive around here. Luckily, the pot holes are so bad in most of the roads, the speeds you need to drive at will most likely allow you to stop in time.

Um comentário:

Bahiana77 disse...

Actuslly, the city of Boston's laws apparently still allow 6 chickens (or other fowl) and 1 milk cow per household, a fact discovered by an old boss from Lebanon (where he was used to having animals around the house) and which he then acted upon (at least the chickens). I can't imagine what the neighbors in his middle-class suburb thought.
As a horse person, I enjoy the presence of horses everywhere in Brazil. Too bad most seem so underfed and overworked.