terça-feira, dezembro 19, 2006

Capelinha! Olha o sabor de fruta!


This is a rather nice shot of the roadsides of Salvador. It is not unusual to see livestock with in city limits - chickens and roosters run domesticated near favela areas. In the areas that still have green space in the city, there is often horses grazing at the side of the road, usually not tied up or monitored in any way. They seem to know someone will come for them eventually and just stay put.

This guy is selling popsicles, but not just any frozen treat - within the depths of this cooler is Capelinha, a frozen fruit puree that puts Dole strawberry to shame. The most common favorite here is the Amidoim (peanut) flavor, but they come in a range of flavors including Morango (strawberry), Côco (coconut), Goiabab (guava), Cajá (no idea), Acerola (no idea, but one of my favorites), and Açaí (a purpley healthy tasting thing from the Amazon). This type of vendor also has a song he sings (most vendors have a sound or song that allows you to recognize what's comming long before they appear), saying something along the lines of "Look! Capelinha! Fruit flavor!" This is one of my weaknesses for Bahian food - I cannot resist the sabor de fruta!

3 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Ohhh... that sounds soooo good. Morango, por favor!

Leo disse...
Este comentário foi removido por um administrador do blog.
Leo disse...

Ooooo....I just found your blog. It makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Good thing too, cause I'm twiddling my indoor thumbs staring longingly at the frosty Colorado snow. Oh...cruel fates, how you torment me--my lack of Brasil and the Salvadorian sun! Cheers.