domingo, novembro 12, 2006

Super speed ants


Not that you can tell from this photo, but these ants move faster than any you will find in the States. You need not wait more than 1 minute for them to find any kind of food you have in their vicinity (they really like cat food) and will clear the area of it in under 5 minutes, taking it to their nest which I suspect is actually deeply embedded in the wall of our veranda. At one point on my way home I came across a plant whose flowers resembeled small roses, and that just happened to have some nice seeds comming from one of the buds. I brought them home and planted them, and low and behold I have grown an aphid magnet! To the ants' delight. Slowly but surely the sticky residue from my resident parasites is turning all my nice white rocks green. I think this plant is about to go bye bye.

2 comentários:

Unknown disse...

try sprinkling cinnamon in corners/cracks where you know the ants pass by on their way to the nest. the ants i have (HAD!) coming from the backyard to my bathroom may be different, but they loved cat food too! as hard as it sounds to believe, i got the cinnamon idea from a natural product blog and it worked like a charm..smelled great too!!

AkuTyger disse...

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My cat will be greatful.